Top Menu

O’Connell Trail 4

O’Connell Trail 4

Spanish French

Leaving the town park the trail proceeds to Reenrusheen road. Locally this road is known as Primrose walk. John Primrose was married to a cousin of Daniel O’Connell and he appointed Primrose as his agent in the area. O’Connell was finding it difficult to manage his tenants and they were frequently forgotten and so O’Connell appointed Primrose as his representative in South Kerry on a salary of £100 a year. Primrose’s dealings with tenants were acrimonious and he was feared and disliked by the locals.
Following Primrose’s walk eastwards, Carraig Na gConaill is visible along the banks of the river Fertha. Legend has it that it was the favourite bathing area of Daniel O’Connell and his family. Land to the east of the town was under control of the O’Connell family and in the 1840’s Daniel donated a site for horse racing to the townspeople. He also stipulated that entrance to all race meetings would be free of charge and the races have an unbroken tradition since 1852. The circular course crosses the Reenrusheen road and runs parallel to the river Fertha providing a panoramic view. Its natural embankment commands a perfect view of every part of the course and of the historic countryside for miles around.
In 1833 a school under the National Board was built on a site within the racecourse and the O’Connell’s subscribed to the upkeep of the school. By 1866 the Carhan School was solely a boy’s school due to the opening of the Presentation Convent for girls in 1840. O’Connell also hoped to build a new Catholic Church on the racecourse and the building was actually constructed to window level before it was abandoned. The school and the church were part of a plan by O’Connell to move the town to the racecourse and away from the property of Trinity College lands.

 

Spanish

 

Saliendo del Town Park (parque del pueblo), el sendero continúa hacia la carretera de Reenrusheen. Localmente este camino se conoce como Primrose Walk.

John Primrose estaba casado con una prima  de Daniel O’Connell y éste nombró a Primrose como su agente en el área. A O’Connell le resultaba difícil administrar a sus arrendados, por lo que O’Connell nombró a Primrose como su representante en South Kerry con un salario de £ 100 por año. El trato de Primrose hacia los arrendados fue cruel y los locales lo temían y no les gustaba.

Siguiendo Primrose Walk hacia el este, Carraig Na gConaill es visible a lo largo de las orillas del rio Fertha. La leyenda dice que era la zona de baño favorita de Daniel O’Connell y su familia. La tierra al este del pueblo estaba bajo el control de la la familia O’Connell y en la década de 1840, Daniel donó un sitio para carreras de caballos a la gente del pueblo. También estipuló que entrada a todas las carreras sería gratuita y las carreras tienen una tradición ininterrumpida desde 1852.

El circuito de carreras circular cruza la carretera Reenrusheen y corre paralelo al río Fertha proporcionando una vista panorámica. El terraplén situado en la parte central del circuito ofrece una vista perfecta de cada parte de éste y del campo histórico por kilómetros a la redonda.

En 1833, una escuela bajo la Junta Nacional fue construida en un sitio dentro del hipódromo y  O’Connell estaba suscrito al mantenimiento de la escuela. En 1866, la Escuela Carhan era únicamente una escuela de niños debido a la apertura del Convento de Presentación para niñas en 1840. O’Connell también esperaba construir una nueva Iglesia en la zona del hipódromo y el edificio llegó a ser construido a nivel de ventanas antes de que fuera abandonado. La escuela y la iglesia formaban parte de un plan de O’Connell para mover la ciudad al area del hipódromo y alejarla de las tierras del Trinity College.

 

French

 

En quittant le parc de la ville, le sentier mène à la route de Reenrusheen. Localement, cette route est connue sous le nom de promenade Primrose. John Primrose était marié à un cousin de Daniel O’Connell et l’avait nommé agent dans la région. O’Connell avait du mal à gérer ses locataires et ils étaient souvent oubliés. C’est pourquoi O’Connell a nommé Primrose comme représentant dans le Sud-Kerry pour un salaire de 100 £ par an. Les relations de Primrose avec les locataires étaient tendues et il était craint et détesté par les habitants.
Carraig Na gConaill est visible le long des berges de la rivière Fertha. La légende veut que ce soit la zone de baignade préférée de Daniel O’Connell et de sa famille. Les terres situées à l’est de la ville étaient sous le contrôle de la famille O’Connell et, en 1840, Daniel fit don d’un site de courses de chevaux aux citadins. Il a également précisé que l’accès à toutes les réunions de course serait gratuit et que les courses ont une tradition ininterrompue depuis 1852. Le parcours circulaire traverse la route de Reenrusheen et longe la rivière Fertha, offrant ainsi une vue panoramique. Son remblai naturel offre une vue parfaite sur chaque partie du parcours et sur la campagne historique à des kilomètres à la ronde.
En 1833, une école relevant du Conseil national fut construite sur un site situé dans l’hippodrome et les O’Connell avaient souscrit à l’entretien de l’école. En 1866, l’école Carhan n’était plus qu’une école de garçons en raison de l’ouverture du couvent de la présentation pour filles en 1840. O’Connell espérait également construire une nouvelle église catholique sur l’hippodrome. . L’école et l’église faisaient partie d’un plan élaboré par O’Connell pour déplacer la ville vers l’hippodrome et à l’écart de la propriété des terrains du Trinity College.