Top Menu

O’Connell Trail 1

O’Connell Trail 1

Spanish

In Pre-Reformation times Religion was celebrated at the Holy Cross Abbey located at Old Market Street. Today only a portion of the East and West walls remain of the Church. The religious were Augustinians who had arrived from the continent. Adjacent to the east wall is the Mausoleum containing the remains of Daniel O’Connell’s parents – Morgan and Catherine. In 1815 the first Protestant Church was built in the Abbey grounds. It was capable of accommodating 70 people and built at a cost of £498. The tower of the church is still in existence and the Protestant logo “The open Bible” is still visible over the main door.
However, in 1863 a new and bigger church was built in West Main St. as the Church of Ireland congregation had greatly increased. In the Abbey Grounds is the tomb of the Primrose family – O’Connells agent in the area since the 1820’s.

Adjacent to the Abbey is the 18th Century Penal Church. The building is the part of the National Monuments Act and is a protected building and unlawful to interfere with. The building has been in existence since 1756 and contrary to belief Catholics were allowed to celebrate mass during the Penal Laws. In 1823 Thomas Reid, an English traveller, described the Chapel as follows “I went to mass in the afternoon and the congregation numbered 7 while close by the Catholic Church could only accommodate 1/3 of those wishing to attend”. The church was originally built as a store or stables and then converted to a church during the Penal Laws era between 1756-1823. The church was also used as a school and Daniel O’Connell was baptised in the building in 1775. In 1823 the Catholic Church moved to the Presentation convent grounds and remained the centre of Catechism in the Cahersiveen area until Dec 1902 when the
O’Connell Memorial Church came into existence.

 

Spanish

En los tiempos previos a la reforma, la misa se celebraba en la abadía de Holy Cross, ubicada
en Old Market Street. Hoy solo queda una parte de los muros del este y del oeste de la Iglesia.
Los religiosos eran agustinos que habían llegado del continente. Adyacente a la pared este
está el Mausoleo que contiene los restos de los padres de Daniel O’Connell, Morgan y
Catherine.
En 1815 se construyó la primera Iglesia protestante en los terrenos de la Abadía. Era capaz de
acomodar a 70 personas y se construyó con un coste de £ 498. La torre de la iglesia todavía
existe y el logotipo protestante “La Biblia abierta” todavía se puede ver en la puerta principal.
Sin embargo, en 1863 se construyó una iglesia nueva y más grande en West Main St. ya que la
congregación de la Iglesia de Irlanda había aumentado mucho.
En los terrenos de la abadía está la tumba de la familia Primrose – el agente de O’Connell en el
área desde la década de 1820.
Adyacente a la Abadía se encuentra la Iglesia Penal del siglo XVIII. El edificio, que data de
1756, es parte de Monumentos Nacionales y por tanto está protegido.
Contrariamente a la creencia, a los católicos se les permitió celebrar allí misa durante la época
de las “Leyes Penales”. En 1823 Thomas Reid, un viajero inglés, describió la capilla como
sigue: “Fui a misa por la tarde y habían congregados un número de siete, mientras que cerca,
en la Iglesia Católica, solo acomodan 1/3 de los que deseen asistir ”.
La iglesia fue originalmente construida como tienda y establo y luego fue convertida en iglesia
durante la época de las “Leyes Penales”, entre 1756-1823. La iglesia era también utilizada
como escuela y Daniel O’Connell fue bautizado en el edificio en 1775. En 1823 la Iglesia
Católica se trasladó a los terrenos del convento de la Presentación y fue el centro religioso en
el área de Cahersiveen hasta diciembre de 1902, cuando se construyó la O’Connell Memorial
Church.