Top Menu

O’Connell Trail 3

O’Connell Trail 3

Spanish

In 1879 Rev. Timothy Brosnon was appointed Parish Priest of Cahersiveen and as a great admirer of Daniel O’Connell, he hoped to erect a Church that would suitably mark the centenary of his birth in 1775. Having received an audience with Pope Leo XIII, he got permission to proceed with the Church and the Pope gave him a 4cwt Slab of Marble for the corner stone of the Church. The architect, George Ashlin, was invited to prepare the plans for the building and to raise much needed funds for the Church, Priests were sent to America, Australia and Great Britain for this purpose.

A contract was signed with John Devlin of Glasgow in May 1886 for the sum of €23,885 and out of his generosity, the contractor offered to use best Irish granite, instead of the local old Red Sandstone. The granite was brought from Newry in Co. Down. The Archbishop of Cashel, Dr Croke, laid the Corner Stone on August 1st 1888. A balance sheet dated, March 31st 1893, showed that expenditure amounted to €19,370, but only €17,685 had been collected. The work on the Church had ceased for two years due to the lack of funds. Canon Brosnan’s health deteriorated and despite his best efforts, the Church was not completed in his lifetime. The Canon died on December 21st 1898 at the age of 76. His remains were interred in the Great Church, which he erected to commemorate the services of Daniel O’Connell in the cause of Catholic Emancipation. Fr Riordan became Parish Priest and he succeed in paying the monies owed to the Architect and Contractor. Four years after the Canon’s death on Sunday December 14th 1902, the first Mass was celebrated in the Memorial Church by Rev. J O’Sullivan, a native of Foilmore. The O’Connell Memorial Church is the only Church in Ireland dedicated to a layman.

Spanish

En 1879, el reverendo Timothy Brosnan fue nombrado párroco de Cahersiveen y como gran
admirador de Daniel O’Connell, esperaba erigir una Iglesia que marcaría adecuadamente el
centenario de su nacimiento en 1775. Habiendo recibido una audiencia con el Papa León XIII,
obtuvo permiso para construir la Iglesia y el Papa le dio una placa de mármol de 4cwt para la

piedra angular de la Iglesia. El arquitecto, George Ashlin, fue invitado a preparar los planes
para el edificio. Para recaudar los fondos necesarios para la Iglesia, los sacerdotes fueron
enviados a Estados Unidos, Australia y Gran Bretaña con este propósito.
Se firmó un contrato con John Devlin, de Glasgow, en mayo de 1886 por la suma de 23,885 €
y, en señal de generosidad, el contratista ofreció usar el mejor granito irlandés en lugar de la
antigua arenisca roja local. El granito fue traído de Newry en Co. Down. El Arzobispo de
Cashel, el Dr. Croke, colocó la primera piedra en 1 de agosto de 1888.
Un balance del 31 de marzo de 1893, mostró que los gastos ascendieron a 19.370 €, pero solo
se recaudaron 17.685 €. El trabajo de construcción de la Iglesia cesó durante dos años debido
a la falta de fondos. La salud de Canon Brosnan se deterioró y, a pesar de sus mejores
esfuerzos, la Iglesia no se completó en vida de éste. El Canon murio el
21 de diciembre de 1898 a la edad de 76 años. Sus restos fueron enterrados en la Gran Iglesia,
que erigió para conmemorar los servicios de Daniel O’Connell en la causa de la emancipación
católica. El Padre Riordan se convirtió en párroco y consiguió pagar el dinero adeudado al
Arquitecto y al Contratista. Cuatro años después de la muerte del Canon Brosnan, el domingo
14 de diciembre de 1902, se celebró la primera misa por parte del Reverendo J. O’Sullivan,
nativo de Foilmore. La Iglesia es la única en Irlanda dedicada a un laico.