Top Menu

O’Connell Trail 2

O’Connell Trail 2

Spanish

In the early 19th century Daniel O’Connell was very conscious of the need to educate the people of South Kerry and so he bought a rectors lodge in Bank Street. He invited nuns from the Presentation Order to come and set up a school to help eradicate the high rate of illiteracy that existed in the area. On October 20th 1840 Sr. Mary Joseph O’Mahony, a cousin of O’Connell and daughter of O’Mahony who resided in Castlequin, arrived for school on the first day. The 3 R’s were taught on the curriculum and handicrafts such as needlework and lace making were introduced. During the famine the school was closed (1845 – 1848) and the sisters opened a soup kitchen to help the needy of the area. The famine also had its effects on the Presentation Community and 8 nuns died before reaching the age of 40. Plague and starvation made inroads into the young Presentation sisters. In 1854 the school introduced industrial employment to the curriculum, especially lace making and orders came in from America, England and France. Sr. Clare Duffy arrived in 1855 and she organised the industrial school which became known at the ‘Factory’. It continued to operate until the 1940’s. The sisters purchased the site of the old Munster and Leinster bank on the opposite side of the road and with the advent of free education a new secondary school was built in 1964 at a cost of £25,000. With increasing numbers an extension was added in 1982 costing £480,000. Following the amalgamation of the post primary school in 1999 the Presentation sisters left post primary education. In 2004 a lay principal was appointed to the primary school. After 164 years, the Presentation sisters were no longer involved in education in South Kerry.

Spanish

A principios del siglo XIX, Daniel O’Connell era muy consciente de la necesidad de educar a la
gente del sur de Kerry, por lo que compró la casa de rectores en Bank Street. Invitó a las
monjas de la Orden de la Presentación a venir y establecer una escuela para ayudar a
erradicar la alta tasa de analfabetismo que existía en el área. El 20 de octubre de 1840, la
Hermana Mary Joseph O’Mahony, prima de O’Connell e hija de O’Mahony que residía en
Castlequin, fue la primera en llegar a la escuela. Las “3 R ́s” se enseñaron en el plan de
estudios y se presentaron actividades artesanales como costura y confección de encajes.
Durante la hambruna la escuela fue cerrada (1845 – 1848) y las hermanas abrieron un
comedor para ayudar a los necesitados de la zona.
El hambre también tuvo sus efectos en la comunidad de La Presentación y 8 monjas murieron
antes de la edad de 40 años. La plaga y el hambre hicieron así estragos en las Hermanas de la
Presentación.
En 1854 se introdujo el colegio industrial, centrado especialmente en la confección de encajes,
recibiendo pedidos de América, Ingalterra y Francia.
La Hna. Clare Duffy llegó en 1855 y organizó la escuela industrial que se conoció como la
‘Fábrica’. Continuó funcionando hasta la década de 1940.
Las hermanas compraron el sitio del viejo Banco Munster y Leinster en el lado opuesto de la
carretera y con la llegada de la educación gratuita una nueva escuela secundaria fue construida
en 1964 con un coste de £ 25,000. Con una inversión de £ 480,000, una extensión es añadida
en 1982.
La amalgamación con la escuela primaria se produce en 1999. En 2004 un director laico fue
nombrado para la escuela primaria. Después de 164 años, las hermanas de la Presentación ya
no estaban involucradas en la educación en el sur de kerry.